I’m delighted to be able to provide an update on how we are moving forward with our engineering and manufacturing route review.
58 occupational standards, which set out the key knowledge, skills and behaviours employers expect to be covered by apprenticeships and wider technical education, are being looked at.
Recommendations to help ensure the first 34 of these stay relevant and up to date have now been sent by the Institute to our employer-led trailblazer groups, who can begin work on implementing them straight away.
Over 300 individuals and organisation representatives have now provided consultation responses supporting this review, which we paused last year to allow employers to focus on challenges posed by COVID-19 and resulting lockdowns.
Work is now moving on well and the Institute is working towards delivering recommendations on the remaining 24 occupational standards. We will run webinars to supports employer with the required work on updating their standards.
A full report on the engineering and manufacturing route review, detailing our recommendations, will be published in the autumn.
I would like to thank everyone who has fed back on what is working and what can be done better to serve these vital sectors.
Your support will help ensure apprenticeships and wider technical education serves engineering and manufacturing beyond the pandemic and for many years to come.
The 34 standards covered by the first wave of recommendations are:
- ST0393 - Advanced Dairy Technologist
- ST0352 - Accident Repair Technician
- ST0019 - Aircraft Maintenance Certifying Technician/ Engineer
- ST0014 - Aviation Maintenance Mechanic (Military)
- ST0059 - Boat Builder
- ST0023 - Control/ Technical Support Engineer
- ST0157 - Electrical Power Protection and Plant Commissioning Engineer
- ST0475 - Electrical Power Networks Engineer
- ST0024 - Electrical/ Electronic Technical Support Engineer
- ST0151 - Embedded Electronic Systems Design and Development Engineer
- ST0164 - Engineering Design and Draughtsperson
- ST0196 - Food and Drink Advanced Process Operator
- ST0195 - Food and Drink Maintenance Engineer
- ST0203 - Furniture Manufacturer
- ST0199 - Food and Drink Process Operator
- ST0349 - General Welder (Arc Process)
- ST0025 - Manufacturing Engineer
- ST0144 - Mineral Processing Mobile and Static Plant Operator
- ST0369 - Non-Destructive Testing Engineer
- ST0358 - Non-Destructive Testing Operator
- ST0288 - Non-Destructive Testing Engineering Technician
- ST0291 - Nuclear Operative
- ST0290 - Nuclear Health Physics Monitor
- ST0289 - Nuclear Scientist and Nuclear Engineer
- ST0380 - Nuclear Technician
- ST0292 - Nuclear Welding Inspection Technician
- ST0309 - Print Technician
- ST0156 - Power Network Craftsperson
- ST0407 - Process Automation Engineer
- ST0163 - Project Controls Technician
- ST0027 - Product Design and Development Engineer
- ST0498 - Specialist Tyre Operative
- ST0015 - Survival Equipment Fitter (Military)
- ST0160 - Water Process Technician