Skip to main content

What are T Levels?

Posted by: , Posted on: - Categories: Employers, T Levels, Technical education

It's T Levels week, a week that focuses on continuing to raise awareness of the many T Level subjects now available and showcase the success of the programme. So we thought in this blog post we'd revisit what T Levels are, while on our social media channels showcasing the wide range available.

T Levels are 2-year courses for 16–19-year-olds who have completed their GCSEs. Whether students want to move into skilled employment or continue their studies – the T Level is a nationally recognised certificate that opens doors!

T Levels combine classroom learning with hands-on experience and include an integrated 45-day industry placement. This means 80% of a student’s time is spent in a classroom, and the other 20% in a working environment.

Farmer having agriculture session with T Level student.

Farmer having agriculture session with T Level students.


For prospective learners:

T Levels are an alternative to A Levels, apprenticeships, and other post-16 courses. It is a qualification designed by leading businesses and employers to provide you with the knowledge and skills needed to thrive in your chosen career.

While T Levels prepare you for the working world, they can also be a stepping stone into higher education. Each T Level is the equivalent to 3 A Levels, with a T Level Distinction* being equal to 3 A*s at A Level. The T Level can be converted into UCAS points, meaning that you can go on to apply to study at university.


For employers:

Taking on T Level students is an opportunity to shape the future of your industry with talented individuals. T Level industry placements are a free government scheme – so you do not need to pay to take on a learner.

Employers benefit from offering these placements as you get to train new talent up to your professional standards – which can be useful for filling skills gaps in the existing workforce, and for future recruitment.


You can find more information about T Levels on a dedicated government website.

All Apprenticeships, Higher Technical Qualifications, and T Levels are based on occupations recognised by employers. The Occupational Maps bring these together to show where technical education can lead. There are 15 maps, one for each route.

You can also find out more about the wide range of available T Levels on our social media channels all week (2 October to 6 October, 2023)





Sharing and comments

Share this page

Leave a comment

We only ask for your email address so we know you're a real person

By submitting a comment you understand it may be published on this public website. Please read our privacy notice to see how the GOV.UK blogging platform handles your information.